Monday, June 1, 2009

Hospitals and Big Girl Beds!

So a lot has occurred since my post on Thursday at 33 weeks pregnant! On Friday afternoon, I started having a sever stabbing like pain in my lower left abdomen, so I thought, "oh I must have pulled a muscle or something." I laid down on the couch for 30 minutes...still stabbing pain. So I got up and then started having contractions every 2-8 minutes (not consistent). Not cool! I called Chris and then called my Dr. The doctor was convinced it was nothing, but since his office was already closed for the day, told me to go to L&D for about an hour of fetal monitoring just to be safe. So, off to L&D we went. We got there around 5:30ish and were all hooked up to monitors by 5:45 or so. Around 10 of 7 the nurse came in and said that the doctor was on the phone and wanted to talk to me. So I talked to him, basically they thought that I was slightly dehydrated and that was causing the contractions. So they made me drink two big ole pitchers of water and were going to monitor me until 10pm and let me go home at that time. Yeah...not so much. At 9 I was still contracting regularly, my eye balls were floating in my head because I had had SO much water to drink and I was STARVING! Did I mention that I hadn't had dinner?! Luckily I sent Chris out to get something for himself around 8, so at least both of us weren't starving! :) I wasn't allowed to eat anything, so they brought me an orange popsicle and saltines...oh whoopie! Anyway, the nurse called to see about giving me some sort of shot to stop the contractions since they hadn't stopped on their own. The doctor said no, and to admit me for the night. Well phooey! So they ordered an ultrasound and an IV so "super hydrate" me. Of course my veins are super tiny and like to hide so they had to cal the IV team to come and hook my IV up. But they did it with only one poke! Whoo hoo! Normally I'm a multiple stick kinda gal. The ultrasound tech showed up and Chris got to see the baby again. The baby is measuring about a week and a half bigger than my due date and is 4 lbs. 15 oz. already. So they said that's a good thing! Baby looks super healthy and is still a girl!! I had been having dreams that we showed up at the hospital with all pink to end up with a boy. At least that worry can go away now. :) I think she's going to be like Katherine though, because her head was measuring 3 1/2 weeks bigger than expected. Oh goody. hahaha. They gave me an ambien for sleep and I was conked out by 11pm. Chris came home to get some shut eye and was back at the hospital the next morning around 8am. Luckily they fed me breakfast...I was about to hurt some people if I didn't get food! They discharged me around 11am and said that I am now on modified bed rest for a week. That means I can stand up and walk around to go to the bathroom, get food, that kind of thing, but NO lifting whatsoever. Uh...I have a 2 year old at home?! Luckily, my mom and dad are here, so they have been helping a ton. So far I'm still having contractions, but nothing regular and not very many. So that's a good thing! I am also one of those blessed with having LOTS of braxton-hicks contractions throughout the entire pregnancy, so I think we are just back to those.

So since we have now had a trial run at the hospital, I guess I should really start getting ready for baby to arrive?! Yesterday Mom and I spent the day getting ready for baby. We got Katherine's big girl bed set up (no I didn't lift anything...I mainly supervised). Her room isn't set up, but her bed is! We'll get the whole room figured out in a few weeks probably. She LOVES her new bed, and managed to sleep the whole night in it last night! She only woke up once and I think it scared her because she didn't know where she was, but she went right back to bed and went to sleep! Not too bad!

We also got the infant car seat covers washed and reassembled and put in the trunk of my car. And we got Katherine's car seat moved over behind my seat so that the infant seat will fit in the back with her. I think we are all set...except for the nursery. Mom is staying home with me today, so I think we will try to get the nursery converted from "toddler" room to infant room today. Then all that's left is packing my bag for the hospital and getting all of Katherine's infant clothes out of storage and washed for baby number 2. Oh...and most importantly...THINK OF A NAME! Sheesh! We are still hopeless in the name category, so hopefully inspiration will strike one of us...SOON! :)

Well I guess that about sums up our weekend in a nutshell. I'll keep you posted with updates on baby 2. So far the baby looks super healthy, so that's a good thing! I'm off to my post...on the couch...ugh.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh Keturah - I can't believe that! When is your actual due date? It is GREAT that your mom is there to help with preparations and Katherine. I will continue to pray you make it full term (you are already on my prayer list with all of my other pregnant friends). That is great news that she's already so big, not so great for the delivery part though - ha! At least she's your second, so your body should be better prepared this time. Keep us updated!