Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pneumonia

Well the verdict is in and little Katherine has a very early case of pneumonia...ugh! We LOVE our pediatrician. We go to church with him and he is just the sweetest man ever. Perfect for his profession. He stayed late yesterday waiting for Katherine's x-rays to come in so that he could get the results and personally call me. He said that she didn't have the hard, fully formed balls consistent with pneumonia, but she had striations of mucus in her lungs. SO, based on his look and that of the radiologists' they decided that it is definitely early pneumonia due to her high fever, lack of appetite and overall no other symptoms except for a runny nose. So he called in a prescription to our local pharmacy and Christopher was able to pick it up on his way home from work. :) She took the medicine last night and was rather perky around bath time. Then at 3am (after her last dose of Motrin wore off) she woke up thirsty and burning up. Fever was 102.5 again. UGH! So we gave her some water, washed her down with a wet washcloth and got more Motrin in her. Luckily this morning she woke up at 6:45 with only a 99.9 fever! MUCH better! We are going to keep her close to home and try to get her to rest and drink as much fluids as possible. I have to call and check in with our favorite Dr. W in the next day or so as he may need to change her meds if she doesn't show progress. I am believing that she will knock this pneumonia out with her current meds and be raring to go sooner rather than later. :)

Caroline is still on the mend, but darn is that girl hungry! My little one that used to sleep 12-13 hours straight...has now been getting up once or twice a night to eat! She's so hungry that when I pick her up out of her crib, she gets so excited that she's going to eat that she starts smacking her lips and flapping her arms. It's like she's saying "OH GOODY, I get to eat!! FOOD, FOOD, FOOD, FOOD, FOOD." I am hoping that this is either the end of her illness or a growth spurt and that we will return to normal sleeping patterns soon! Mommy likes her sleep! :)

Well I'm off to make my big girl some blueberry pancakes for breakfast...I take this as a good sign that she wants to eat! Yesterday she didn't eat much of anything!

No comments: