Wednesday, March 3, 2010

3 year well visit and the croup!

After our ever exciting trip to Disney last week, the birthday girl came down with a nasty cold. Yuck! She ended up with a spiking fever in the middle of the night Saturday night and felt just yucky all day Saturday and Sunday. Luckily Motrin and sponge baths managed to get the fever down and by Monday morning all that was left was a low grade fever and the sniffles. She did have to miss school on Monday, which was a total bummer, but she was good to go this morning! She was so excited to tell all of her friends about her trip to see Mickey Mouse. Very cute!! On Monday Caroline woke up with the sniffles and by lunchtime had this horrible sounding cough. I said it sounded like she was blowing a horn every time she coughed. So off we went to see Dr. W that afternoon. The nurse said it was imperative that we came in that day...I asked because Katherine already had a 3 year old check up scheduled for first thing the next morning. I'm glad we went in. Poor little Caroline had the croup! Yuck! Dr. W put her on a small dose of steroids and sent us home with the warning "you may be up all night, as the croup tends to be the worst in the middle of the night." Great.

Amazingly enough, Caroline only woke up once during the night and I gave her more medicine, nursed her and she was conked out again. She did cough most of the night, but it didn't seem to bother her much. By the next morning her fever was down to almost nothing and she seemed quite content! So, back to Dr. W's office we went for Katherine's big girl check up!!

She is now 38" tall and 29 lbs. This puts her in the 60-70th percentile for height and in the 15-20th percentile for weight. We still have one long and lean chickadee!!! Dr. W said she looked excellent and the fact that she LOVES her veggies and water makes her one special kiddo...as if we didn't know that already?! :) We then went through the checklist of developmental milestones with Dr. W...

How many ABCs does she know? All of them.
How high can she count? Well, definitely to 30 by herself, but after that she needs a little prompting.
Can she ride a big wheel or tricycle with some assistance? Uh...she rides a bicycle with training wheels...and doesn't need much help.
Can she speak in sentences? Yes
Can most people understand what she is saying? Yes.

By this point Dr. W starts chuckling and I ask what's so funny. He looks at me and says "Well, the developmental milestones you just gave me are for a 5 year old...not a 3 year old. You have one smart cookie on your hands." We knew that she was smart, but we didn't think she was super ahead of the game...especially since when she was 2 we were worried that she might be speech delayed?! Amazing what a difference a year can make! So yeah, we have one bright girly on our hands. :)

Yesterday afternoon we got home and both girls were feeling pretty good. I put Caroline down for her morning nap and she conked out like a champ. I finally got Katherine down for her nap around 1:30...and then the fun began! Caroline woke up from her nap screaming. So I went in and got her. No fever, but a major runny nose. I then spent the next two and a half hours straight nursing her, because she would cry every time I stopped. Talk about tiring! Katherine woke up around 4 and we went downstairs...with more crying from Caroline. Poor thing was miserable...but still no fever. Chris had a West Point meeting last night, so I was on my own for dinner and bath. By 6pm Caroline was just done. She had either been crying or nursing non-stop since 1:30pm. I got both girls bathed and put a movie on for Katherine while I attempted to put Caroline to sleep. After about an hour and 15 minutes, I finally succeeded in getting Caroline to stay asleep. Chris came home while I was in with Caroline and thankfully took over with Katherine.

Poor Caroline woke up at midnight, 3, 4, 5, and 7am. She is miserable. Still no fever, but she has a nasty cough (but not croup cough) and runny nose. We took Katherine to school this morning and Caroline and I are just chilling in the house since she feels so crummy. I'm hoping that maybe today she will knock this cold and maybe we can get some sleep around here! :)

Oh...and while we were at the doctor's they weighed Miss Caroline...she weighs in at a healthy 17lbs. 14oz. That is a half a pound more than Katherine weighed at 1...not sure on the length yet as they didn't measure her. I think she may catch her sister sooner rather than later!! :)

I will try to upload some pictures later this afternoon from Disney!!

No comments: