We went to the hospital around 6:30am on Wednesday morning to be induced. They started the medicine at 8am and by 10:30am I was only dialated another 1/2 cm. The contractions were getting painful, so I got the epidural and went to sleep. Chris went to grab some lunch since the nurses were predicting a 4pm delivery time for me. He left and came back around 12:30. I had been snoozing wonderfully this whole time and when he came back I kinda woke up and we chatted for a few minutes. At 12:45pm I said, you know I'm starting to feel a little pressure down below, maybe we should tell the nurses. So he went out and told one of the nurses. She came in around 1:00pm or so and checked me and said "oh, you're about 8cm." She made me flip over to my other side as apparently you aren't supposed to sleep on one side for very long with an epidural. So I did. She left and about 10 mintues later I said, you know I'm starting to feel more pressure, maybe we should get the nurse again. So Chris, being the wonderful hubby went out and again told the nurses. They of course kind of ignored him because they had just checked me 10 mintues earlier. So, they came sauntering in around 1:15pm and checked me. The nurse looked at me and said "WHOA...don't push, her head is crowning." I of course responded...I'm not pushing, I'm not doing a darn thing. :) So the nurse left running around calling the doctor, and doing all sorts of things and left a nursing student in the room with me to make sure I was ok. 1:25 they are all still running around trying to get everything ready and the nursing student's eyes get huge and she says, "uh...I think I'd better go get a nurse." So she runs to the door and calls for someone. Well about 8 nurses come running in and they quickly put on gloves to catch the baby. Caroline was born kicking and screaming 7 minutes later. She weighed 6 lbs. 15 oz. and is 20 1/2 inchecs long. So she is about 8 oz. less than Katherine was at birth, but a full inch longer. She has definitely got some LONG fingers and toes. Mom says she has pianists hands with those long fingers. I guess we shall see! :)
We later asked the nurse how many times the nurses have had to deliver by themselves without a doctor and she told us that she averages 175 births a year with a doctor and has been doing this for 6 years. In those 6 years this was her 4th "nurse only" birth. Guess it doesn't happen that often!
My poor doctor (whom we LOVE) came screeching into the room about 2:45 and jokingly said he would have stop by the ER on his way out to check on the two pedestrians he ran over while trying to get to the hospital in time. hahahaha. Poor guy. He changed my induction date so that he could deliver her since he was scheduled to have surgery on his neck on Friday (my original induction date). And he still missed the birth! He said Chris and I needed to have another little one so that he could actually be there because our "births are just too much fun." I guess that's a good thing!
The good news is that since I didn't have to push my recovery has been super fast. The only real pain I have had is at the site where they gave me the epidural and that's just like sore/bruised muscles. Other than that and some cramping from my stomach going back to normal size it's been fairly easy. I was ready to go home about 5 hours after delivery, but of course you aren't allowed to leave until at least 36 hours later. Boo hiss. :)
We came home yesterday morning around 11:30am and have been enjoying Katherine with her little sister. Katherine is SO caring and tries to get Caroline to "hold her hand" when she is crying. So cute. Now...if I can just keep Katherine out of Caroline's crib we'll be all set! ;)
I did get one bit of news that I liked...Caroline has my blood type! Whoo hoo...finally SOMETHING of mine in one of my kiddos. ;) Yes...Caroline looks just like her big sister and daddy...and she even has lighter hair than Katherine had, so I think I'm outta luck for her looking like me yet again. :) Oh well, she's darn cute if I do say so myself. :) I'm not biased at all. :)
Checking into the hospital at 6:30am on 7/8/09
Big Sister Katherine comes for a visit!
Wide awake!!
No comments:
Post a Comment