The past 8 weeks have been so incredibly stressful that I swear the good Lord did it on purpose so that I would be so ready for "school" to end and "homeschool" to begin. He has also been reminding me that I need to document all of the things that I will NOT miss about "normal" school so that when I am feeling crazy or like I may lose my sanity at any given moment, I can look back and reflect on all of the negative things about "normal school." So here goes the things I will NOT miss about "normal school."
- I think the number one thing I will not miss is constantly working on someone else's schedule! I swear everyday it's rush, rush, rush to get to school with whatever is required of each kiddo for that day. Then hurry up, drop off, ok, go RUSH to get errands done, now rush back to school and pick the kids up. Rush, rush, rush, rush, rush! I'm over it!
- I will NOT miss how much the kids play in the sand box. I know, I'm weird, but I cannot stand sand...and yes, I do realize that I live in FL! I don't mind going to the beach and getting sandy, because that is to be expected, but EVERY SINGLE DAY the kids come home with shoes FULL of sand. They always end up dumping it either in my car on the way home, or in the middle of the floor once we get home...then guess who gets to clean it up?! It sticks in their socks and no matter how well I shake, scrub and wash them, they STILL have residual sand in them...which the girls HATE and constantly fuss about. So...no more sandbox! YIPPEE!!!
- I really love that the kids get to be creative and do so many really cool art projects at school, but really?! My office is about to explode from all of the artwork that gets sent home each day.
- All of the organized activities that are associated with school, such as the PTA-type stuff, the play days, field days, water day, Christmas play, Spring Play, Mother's Day tea, etc, etc, etc. It's cute, I get it, but holy moly when you have more than one kid it becomes a bit overwhelming!
- The kids you aren't so fond of...there is always at least one kid in the class that your kid picks up their bad behaviour/attitude/language/etc. I realize that's all part of socialization and that the kids need to be exposed to all types of people, but really?! Some of that I could do with out!
- The overachiever parents. Let's face it, there are always going to be "those" parents who go WAY above and beyond the call of duty to buy more stuff for the classroom, attend more things, give the teacher 10 gifts instead of 1 at Christmas, etc, etc, and then look down their noses at "everyone else." Really?! It's about the kids, not the parents!
- Chris and I will be in charge of what the girls are learning and how they learn it. We can tailor our education to fit each kid's needs and style of learning so that they can achieve their best and not just the standard that someone else sets for them.
- Creativity and Flexibility: Oh my goodness, the possibilities are endless! We will be able to take trips and incorporate the history, literature, science or even math that we have been learning about. We don't have to stay in our seats inside a building for 8 hours a day to learn. We can have our science lessons about weather outside looking at the actual weather! We can have our lessons about animals at the ZOO! How cool is that?! If the kids are tired of sitting and want to do their math standing up at the whiteboard, GO for it!
- Biblical World View: Chris and I will be able to ensure that their history and science (mainly) will be firmly rooted in a Christian world-view and that the history they learn is accurate and not edited to remove parts that someone didn't like. We can incorporate the Bible into any and all discussions and can make sure that the girls (and boy eventually) are grounded in their faith and know what we believe.
- Chris and I will be in charge of their moral training and teaching. It is our responsibility to instill the values and morals that we believe into our children. NOT the school's and certainly not a poor teacher who has 30 kids to worry about all at once! We can be instilling these values and morals in our day to day activity and not have to worry what "untraining" is happening at school while we are away.
- Socialization: Yeah, this is pretty much the reason most people will give for NOT homeschooling, but I think they will have MORE opportunities for socialization at home. For one, our schooling will mostly be one on one and communication will be vital. Second, since we will be moving at the child's pace, we will probably need way less time "in school" than a "normal" kid is in "normal" school. Therefore, in our extra time we can be involved in sports, music, art, theater, church, and volunteering in the community, and of course the most important part of socialization is within the family itself. Chris and I will be able to have thorough and meaningful conversations with the kids throughout the day, not just when they are home from school and not involved in some other activity.
- Love: I do not think you can possibly "over love" your child. For goodness sake, Jesus loved us so much He DIED for us! I don't think there is anything more drastic you could possibly do, so in following Jesus, we will be able to love on our kids all day long. We can encourage, discipline, listen to, play with, snuggle, challenge and demonstrate our love for each of them individually each day throughout the entire day. What a blessing!
- Love of learning: Chris and I both hated middle and high school, so we really want to make sure that our kids LOVE to learn and never lose that. With homeschooling, we can make sure that each child is learning in the best way for them. Whether that's sitting in a room and doing more "traditional" school or learning their multiplication tables while doing jumping jacks because movement helps their brain work better. We want to foster and encourage their love of learning that is so strong in both of them right now. That doesn't mean we won't challenge them or make them do things they don't want to do...that's part of learning. But for the most part we want them to figure out how they learn best and go for it. That way they will never want to quit learning as they grow up.
Here are some pictures of the girls from this morning:
We are so blessed that they love each other so much!
Sweet Katherine all ready to graduate from VPK!
Our sweet and mischievous Caroline! Doesn't that grin make you think she's got something really sly planned?! :)
Love this one...Caroline definitely looks like she is up to something...
Katherine receiving her certificate from Mrs. Keller!
Katherine in line for ice cream at the VPK ice cream social!
She REALLY enjoyed the ice cream. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment