Monday, May 17, 2010

Houston we have a swimmer!

Well today marked two big days for Katherine and Caroline...1) It's Katherine's last Monday of school for her first year of school and 2) it was Caroline's first day of swimming lessons!!! I am quite sad that this is Katherine's last week of school until August as she LOVES going to school and playing with her friends. She has already told me twice in the past few days that she is going to be really sad to miss her friends at school. :( I am hoping we can organize a few play dates this summer, but I am not sure how many as I know her little friends have busy schedules too! I cannot believe that my little Katherine has just completed her first year of preschool! AAGGHH!! She's growing up so fast!

As for Miss Caroline and her swimming lessons...she's a PRO! We got to the pool and the instructor asked if I would be ok when Caroline started crying. I of course am not really sympathetic to crying as Katherine has been a screamer since day 1...I think that she wore out my sensitivity to crying by month 2... So, I replied to Mrs. Carmen that I would be fine and to go ahead with the lesson as planned. There were two other parents there waiting for their lessons to start and they both said, "Oh, just give her 5 minutes, she'll (Caroline) be screaming her little head off." So I went about laying the towels out and Caroline got started...yeah, no screaming, no tears, not even a small sniffle! She was ALLLLLLL smiles. I'm talking light up the sky smiles and she was slightly showing off. Her first attempt at floating...she did perfect! Arms straight out by her side, head back in the water, feet straight out...A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. The instructor was dumbfounded. She said "In all of my years doing this, I have NEVER had an infant this calm and this good!" So Day 1 - skill 1 mastered. Tomorrow onto holding her breath and going under water...this is usually a week 2 skill...NOT for Caroline! It's a Day 2 skill! :) Now...Mrs. Carmen fully expects Katherine to be the same way when she starts her lessons next week....HA! Katherine throws a fit when I put water over her head in the bath tub to wash her hair! Forget laying down flat in a pool! I have a feeling that screaming and meltdowns will be par for the course for her first few days. I might be surprised, but I am preparing for the worst!

So we may just have Caroline the swimmer and Katherine the dancer on our hands. ;)

I just signed Katherine up for her very first dance lessons! Excited is not even the word for it. She is about to jump off the moon she is so excited about her lessons. They aren't until July...but she's already talking about it! She wants to go buy her leotard, ballet slippers and tap shoes...NOW! I am holding off until June as she seems to be growing right now...it would be just my luck to buy them now and they be too little by July. :)

I think that about sums up our little ones for now. I have a feeling we will be getting into some fun adventures this summer, so I will be sure to keep you updated with pictures and stories!! I hope to get some pictures of Caroline swimming tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I will be able to or not. We will see!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Awesome! What kind of swimming lessons are you doing? We're going to do mother/baby ones in June.

Hughes Family said...

It's Infant/Rescue swimming. So it's one on one with only one kid and instructor in the pool. For infants under 1 (or maybe 18 months I can't remember) they learn how to roll over and float on their back until help arrives. For older kiddos, they learn to do a swim-float-swim sequence and to open their eyes under water and look for a wall or stairs to get to. Katherine is my daredevil, so I am paranoid that she is going to figure out the baby gate and either she or Caroline or both will fall into the pool for the 2 seconds I have my back turned. SO, this stuff buys time as I think it's something like 30-45 seconds for a baby to drown. Scary! It's pretty intense though...every day for 15 minutes for 4-6 weeks.