Saturday, September 13, 2008

We keep going and going and going and going

Instead of the Hughes Family, I feel like lately we should be called the Energizer bunnies! We just keep going and going and going and going! Since my last post we have been at the shop almost every single day working, interviewing new electricians, planning for next year, shopping for copier/printers and a new server and computer firm to keep our computers up and running. Also in the past few weeks Katherine started her first week of Lab School, I began a new Bible Study at church, the new gym we have been waiting on finally opened this week, we have hired two new people at the shop, and I have been drafted for a new volunteer position at the church! Crazy doesn't even begin to describe us at the moment! :) At least we aren't bored though. That is a good thing.

Katherine is growing like a darn weed and is becoming more and more independent by the minute. She wasn't too thrilled with her first day of Lab School as she was very unsure of what exactly was going on, but by the end of her first day she didn't want to leave! Lab School is a program put on by the local community college for parents and kids. For her age group, you meet once a week from 9:30 to noon. Basically the kids do arts and crafts, play, have music and snack and then go home worn out! :) It was really interesting to watch Katherine with the other kids, she didn't mind playing with them and she didn't mind sharing, in fact one little boy took the toy right out of her hands twice and she just looked at me like "oh well, I didn't really want to play with it anyway." I was very impressed. I think if I were her, I would have been quite peeved! :) The interesting thing though was that she was the first to do everything, but then quickly tired of the activity when everyone else joined in, by the time the other kids were playing, she was ready to move onto the next room or activity. At snack time, she was the only kid that ate the fruit. I was very surprised by this since I figured most kids like fruit! Everyone else stuck to the sweet potato chips that a mom had brought in, but not Katherine...she wanted watermelon...and LOTS of it. By the time we left she was drenched in watermelon juice. Little did I know how badly watermelon stains! Ugh! Good thing she wore an already stained outfit as a precaution!

She stayed in the nursery while I went to Bible Study this week and she LOVED it. She did not want to leave when I came to pick her up. She has become quite fond of Miss Trish and Miss Marilyn. They are the same ladies that keep the nursery on Sunday mornings, so she was quite thrilled to see them on Monday morning. She had so much fun in the nursery that she fell fast asleep on the drive from the church to the shop (about 10 minutes!).

She also LOVES the Kid Fit area at the gym. We have a membership to a chain of gyms in the area, and the new one opened this week about 5 minutes from our house. Chris and I were very excited since it was supposed to open in late spring early summer, and here it is September already! They have a staffed area for the kids to play, which allows me to enjoy the facilities as well! They have an infant, toddler, elementary and big kid area. The staff has been super nice and Katherine loves to stay there while I go and work out for a short while. They even have screens in the workout area that allow you to watch the kids playing while you work out. It's very nice!

The only other big change we have had lately is that Katherine seems to be transitioning from two naps a day to one...this is not a easy transition as she is still ready for a nap in the morning, but if I put her down, then she will not take an afternoon nap and then we are REALLY cranky from about 2:30 on. I'm hoping that we will get over the cranky stage soon as she gets used to the one nap a day. Let's just hope I don't go crazy in the process!!

Well I don't have any new pictures to post (I know I get an F!), but I think that Christopher may have some, so I will check on his camera tonight.

Until next time!

No comments: