Saturday, October 20, 2012

Days of our Lives

So sometimes I begin to feel like we live in a semi-soap opera...without the people coming back to life, murders, cheating and general sleaziness, etc.  This week was "one of those weeks."  We started off the week with a wonderful day at CC (homeschool group) on Monday.  We managed to finish a few errands and then head home for much needed naps all around.  Tuesday we had a little bit of a wild day because we had to go get a bunch of hand-me-down clothes for Mr. Andrew from a friend of ours.  We also were privileged to have Miss Ana come and visit for the day since her poor brother was in surgery to fix...get this...his TWO broken arms after a bike accident.  Poor guy!  I remember thinking as I spoke with Nora, his mom, that "yup, I betcha we'll be experiencing a broken arm or two with Miss Katherine since she seems to have to learn things the HARD way instead of just learning from what we tell her."  Yeah...just hold that thought for a minute.  Tuesday night we also had couples group and by the time I got home I was so worn out that I passed out immediately...only Mr. Andrew had other ideas.  So after partying all night with Andrew, we laid low on Wednesday.  We did some homeschool work, washed some clothes and generally just vegged.  Then comes Thursday.  Since I had revived myself a bit from the vegging day on Wednesday, I woke up Thursday ready to rock and roll.  I got the girls up and dressed in their "Big Sis" shirts, hair done, breakfast fed and then got Mr. Andrew up and dressed.  I was determined to take sibling pictures of the little guy before he loses his "newborn" look...which is fast departing!  He's growing like a weed!  Anyway, as I am getting ready to go outside to take pictures, Caroline comes up to me and says "Look Momma, I chewed my shirt."  WHAT?! Sure enough, Caroline had been chewing on the collar of her shirt while I was feeding Andrew.  SO now her shirt collar is ALLLLL stretched out and has a ginormous (pretty sure that's not a word) wet spot on the front of the shirt.  Wonderful...  So I strip her shirt off, rinse it out with water and chuck in the dryer just praying it will dry fast enough before Mr. A falls asleep or gets into a fussy mode.  I think this should have been a warning as to how the day would go...

Anyway, the shirt dried fairly quickly and we all went outside for a photo shoot.  I managed to get quite a few sweet shots of all three kiddos together and just two of them together in various forms, but I did not get a SINGLE picture that was decent of Mr. Andrew by himself.  Bummer.  In every single one he either looked like he was about to spit up or was just generally ticked to be subjected to the sunlight and camera lens.  Oh well...guess we will try again soon.  :)  We then did homeschool, which was ridiculously challenging for some reason.  Katherine didn't want to do anything, questioned everything and Caroline kept whining and fussing about EVERYTHING.  Finally around 1pm I just gave up on school for the day.  We had accomplished enough for one day, so it wasn't a total waste, but it definitely wasn't what I had planned!  I put the kiddos down for a nap around 2:30...yeah...NONE of the kids would go to sleep!  Caroline is always easy to get down and Andrew typically sleeps most of the day, so this was definitely unusual for those two...not so much for Katherine.  Finally everyone went to sleep around 3:45 and I collapsed on the couch for about 10 minutes.  Then I was up and starting dinner.  Chris came home early which was a wonderful surprise!!  We ate an early dinner and then decided it was SOOO nice out that we just HAD to take a walk!  Remember the thought I told you to hold a minute ago about the broken arm...yeah, here it comes!  So we are all in the garage, Caroline is helping Chris pump up the tires on the jogging stroller, Katherine is putting her bike helmet on (I have no idea why) and I am putting Andrew in his car seat and stroller.  Katherine takes off out into the driveway and Chris tells her to come back and stay right with us...as if she would listen to us...  So she's just running around in the driveway right beside Chris's truck and then she takes off to the "forest" as she calls it on the other side of the driveway toward our neighbor's house.  Chris calls her back and she does reluctantly come, but decides to take a detour through the grass instead of just straight to us.  Well the detour goes right by the one tree in our close front yard which also happens to be her FAVORITE tree to climb.  Of course the kid has been warned at least 50 times NOT to climb anything without Chris or I there to spot her...but do you think that stops her?!  NOPE!  So she climbs up in the tree...while Chris is telling her to get down.  She starts coming down and then gets scared about 2 feet off the ground.  Literally 2 feet, maybe even less.  So she yells "Daddy" and then JUMPS off the tree.  Chris was about 20 feet from her, but obviously couldn't get there in time because she just jumped.  She lands on her arm and is immediately up saying "OW, OW, OW, my arm hurts really bad."  Chris and I look at it and it's OBVIOUSLY broken from far away.  So in we go to pack it with ice and make up a sling.  Chris takes her to the ER where they confirm that it is in fact broken...in two places.  She broke both bones in her forearm.  So they send her home in a splint with instructions to see a Orthopedic Surgeon in the morning to get it set.  Luckily one of our dear friends is also an orthopedic surgeon.  So we talked to him while in the ER, he looked at her X-rays from home and told us, he would see her at 9 in his office the next morning.  He also said "nothing to eat or drink after midnight."  He knew he would have to knock her out to set her arm, otherwise it would be terribly traumatic for a 5 year old!  So we put the sweet kid to bed, who was still pretty nonchalant about the whole experience...and she slept...for a little less than an hour.  Then she was up for the rest of the night in pretty bad pain...and dying of thirst...but she couldn't have anything.  Try explaining that to a 5 year old who is pretty much not listening to anything you say to her in the middle of the night...fun times!!  Finally she and Chris headed off to see Dr. John around 8:45am.  They called at 10:30 and said that they were headed over to the surgery center and it was scheduled for 12 noon.  So I quickly got Caroline squared away with GrayGray and then Andrew and I headed for the surgery center.  We got there around 11:30 and Katherine was quite the conversation piece in the center.  EVERYONE came to see her and talk to her.  They also all asked how she hurt her arm and by the end she was so sick of telling the story that she would say "do I HAVE to tell you?  It's getting annoying!"  The nurses could not get over how cute she was...meanwhile Mom and Dad could see her head swelling with all the compliments.  ;)  Finally around 1 they took her back...after one very defiant moment when she spit the "happy juice" back out at the nurse...that's Katherine!  The anesthesiologist said that she was the calmest child he has ever put to sleep...and she woke up just as calm!  No crying or anything, which is apparently VERY rare with children.  We were so proud of her!  The actual setting and casting only took a few minutes, so within an hour we were already back in recovery with her wide awake and demanding food.  Yup, I'd say she's back to normal!  Even groggy she was giving out orders.  ;)  We left very shortly after she woke up and were home around 3pm.  She inhaled some chips and salsa and goldfish when we got home and then we ALL took a much needed nap.  After our nap she wanted to go to Friendly's for dinner.  So we piled into the car and headed to Friendly's.  She got chicken fingers and the much anticipated "create your own" sundae with gummy bears, oreos and M&Ms.  She was one happy chick!  I was just happy the anesthesia didn't make her sick, because it makes me ridiculously sick.  She was completely fine! 

We all slept like babies last night and Mr. Andrew even got in on the fun and slept for a whopping 6 hours straight!  Way to go little man!  :)  Mommy greatly appreciated it.  :) 

So there's our wild and crazy week!  Let's hope for a more sedate week this week.  No broken bones, sleepless nights or wild and crazy attitudes.  ;) 

I'll post pics of the kiddos shortly. 

No comments: